DC Drinks

Reviews, rantlets and ribald on all things alcoholic.

Thursday, December 22, 2005

Glogg, Glogg, Glogg

Denmark is really cold this time of year. The only acceptable way I found to walk the streets of Copenhagen is from bar to bar. Fortunately, the Danish people, and Scandanavians in general, know only too well that temperature is best regulated by what you drink. That's why they created Glogg (pronounced like you're swallowing).

Glogg is a mulled wine made with Aqvavit (spiced vodka), red wine, spices, almonds and raisins. You may know the German counterpart Gluewhein. Glogg is simlar, but adds almonds and raisins. Also, Glogg has a little more kick.

The Glogg mixture is stewed so that the raisins become plump and burst in your mouth, juicy and warm. The almonds add texture and the spices animate the flavors of the wine. But the best part of Glogg is that it's strong and hot--perfect for a dreary December eve. You scarecly notice the cold, or hunger for that matter, once you're about three cups in.

5 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big fan of Gluewhein here; looking forward to trying glogg.

Here's an off-task question for you: I understand that triple-sec is a cheaper imitation for Cointreau. I'm making a recipe for chocolate fondue that calls for Grand Marnier (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/3096) and I'm toying with the idea of using Triple Sec to save a few bucks. I probably won't do it, 'cause usually I'd rather spend the money for the good stuff, but I thought I'd see what you think. This might be outside your realm of opinion, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Wicketywack said...

Just use generic Triple Sec in your fondue. While Cointreau IS the "good stuff", since you're going to dilute it with so many other ingredients in your fondue, you really wouldn't notice too much difference between the Cointreau or Triple Sec. Plus, the recipe only calls for 3 tablespoons of it! For this sort of thing, the only point of getting the good stuff is if you're adding a lot of it to a cocktail or drinking it neat. But having said all that, I do know that there are small bottles of Cointreau for sale if you feel like being decadant. Otherwise, save $15 and get Triple Sec.

Isaac, let me know if you're with me here.

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Washington Cube said...

We need to find the bars in D.C. that "do" glogg.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have an addiction to Gluewhein during the cold Chicago winters. I used to work for a German restaurant where the owners made their own every fall and offered for sale by the quart. It was a great "take to holiday parties/dinners" thing. They've since retired and now I'm Gluewheinless! The little cartons of Alpine Spice that you add to your own red wine just don't cut it. I've searched the web high and low for some available for purchase. Can anyone help this Gluewhein junkie get a fix?

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Isaac Washington said...

Email me and I can send you a recipe for Glogg.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home